Marc Zucchelli on 3 Mar 2006 01:47:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] 'apt-get remove exim4-config' also uninstalled mysql!!

UPDATE: I was able to build a fake mta .deb package
and get everything done.

> Now that that's said, why qmail?  Is there really
> something it can do
> that other MTA's can't?  I ask because about 80% of
> my backscatter spam
> comes from qmail installations, so I have to admit I
> am fairly
> prejudiced against it as an MTA choice.

I cant stand sendmail.  I've never usered exim or
postfix, but I chose qmail because of its excellent
reputation for security (I dont think there was ever a
security hole) and performance.  It promises never to
loose a single email, I like Maildir better than mbox.
 Its very easy to configure, and I like the fact that
I can tell whats going on in the queue.

Not to mention I didnt choose exim because I had a
webhosting account on a server that uses exim, there
was a spammer on the server, and exim was constantly
taking the load on the quad xeon machine over 350.  I
hear that with qmail the load stays reasonable.

Looks like there are some patches for qmail available
prevent the backscatter.  I will have to look into
them, of course I have to be care since I already am
applying a patch for smtp-auth!

Marc