Stephen Gran on 3 Mar 2006 00:00:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] 'apt-get remove exim4-config' also uninstalled mysql!!

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:31:50PM -0800, Marc Zucchelli said:
> I wanted to uninstall exim so I can compile qmail with
> the smtp auth patch, so I ran:
>
> apt-get remove exim4-config
>
> This also uninstalled mysql and postgresql.
>
> Since I was using mysql, I installed it again with
> apt-get, and it goes ahead and installs exim!!
>
> When I was reading up on installing qmail, some site
> said its a good idea to install a 'fake MTA' because
> certain programs require that and if they need it,
> your packaging system will go ahead and get one.
> There is an rpm for this, but I am in debian and using
> apt-get.
>
> I dont know much about packaging software at all I've
> always just compiled my stuff.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

apt-cache show qmail-src

(It's in non-free)

Since qmail doesn't update very often, presumably the patch will apply,
and the resulting deb will satisy the packaging system.

Now that that's said, why qmail?  Is there really something it can do
that other MTA's can't?  I ask because about 80% of my backscatter spam
comes from qmail installations, so I have to admit I am fairly
prejudiced against it as an MTA choice.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The secret source of humor is not joy   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | but sorrow; there is no humor in        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Heaven.   -- Mark Twain                 |