Marc Zucchelli on 2 Mar 2006 22:32:14 -0000

[PLUG] 'apt-get remove exim4-config' also uninstalled mysql!!

I wanted to uninstall exim so I can compile qmail with
the smtp auth patch, so I ran:

apt-get remove exim4-config

This also uninstalled mysql and postgresql.

Since I was using mysql, I installed it again with
apt-get, and it goes ahead and installs exim!!

When I was reading up on installing qmail, some site
said its a good idea to install a 'fake MTA' because
certain programs require that and if they need it,
your packaging system will go ahead and get one.
There is an rpm for this, but I am in debian and using
apt-get.

I dont know much about packaging software at all I've
always just compiled my stuff.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Marc