sean finney on 3 Mar 2006 07:16:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] 'apt-get remove exim4-config' also uninstalled mysql!!

hi marc,

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:31:50PM -0800, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> When I was reading up on installing qmail, some site
> said its a good idea to install a 'fake MTA' because
> certain programs require that and if they need it,
> your packaging system will go ahead and get one.
> There is an rpm for this, but I am in debian and using
> apt-get.
>
> I dont know much about packaging software at all I've
> always just compiled my stuff.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

the version of mysql you're using (testing or maybe earlier?) depends
on the mailx package, which in turn depends on the virtual
mail-transport-agent package[1], which is the "fake MTA" to which you
were alluding earlier.  when you remove your MTA, you also remove
anything that depends on having an MTA.

if you really wanna go down this qmail route, the best thing to do
would be to install a dummy "mail-transport-agent" by using the
equivs package.  i believe there is some sample documentation
in equivs for how to do this.

also (putting my mysql co-maintainer hat on), newer versions of the
mysql packages no longer depend on mailx but instead recommend it
so that your database servers are not required to have fully functional
MTA's on them as well.

	sean

[1] a predefined "virtual package" indicating the system has the
    capability of sending mail via /usr/bin/sendmail.