Doug Crompton on 3 Mar 2006 14:51:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Comcast RBL

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 tek@undergroundinfection.net wrote:

> Maybe now is a good time to setup your own mail server. The only thing I
> rely on comcast for, is access. And they can barely do that right. Spend
> the 6 bucks, get a domain, set up qmail and pretend comast is a good isp.
> We could hope for a better cable provider but the government killed that
> chance by deciding that the cable companies don't have to share the
> wire(gotta love monopolies). Personally I think once the electric
> companies finalise broadband through a power outlet(it's coming), comcast
> is done for. Prices will drop and competetion will be back in the game.
> right now the only true competitor is verizon(hehe) and they're more than
> happy to be the next aol(cheap slower internet).

Yes I agree. I am DSL and I have only used my provider as a connection to
the internet for the last 10 years. The problem is will Comcast allow you
to do that? And if they do I guess they could just as easily shut that
off!

The Powerline Ssytems (BPL) are all but dead due to interference issues.
Technically they were a bust from the beginning. Putting RF energy on a
single open wire feeder radiates (and receives) energy period. Dozens of
systems including one in Allentown (PP&L) have started pilot programs and
shortly shutdown. As far as I know PECO has not used it.

Verizon will be the next much faster internet. The fiber to premises that
is mostly installed here in Bucks County is up to 15mb and will have TV as
soon as they get the franchises in place.

Philly proper is supposed to be 100% wireless in a year. This will not be
an optimum system speedwise but for many of the poorer communities it
should be a good thing. They are promising access fees as low as $10 for
the poor.

So Comcast is going to have some stiff competition in the near future.
Most people think it is their only choice and the slick TV ads would make
you believe it is faster and more reliable than DSL both of which are
generally not true. Verizon is teamed up with DirectTV until they get
their own TV going and they offer some attractive packages with their
fiber or DSL and DirectTV combined.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *