sean finney on 3 Mar 2006 22:56:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] 'apt-get remove exim4-config' also uninstalled mysql!!

hi marc,

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 08:20:55AM -0800, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> Looks like I have mysql 4.0.24_Debian-10sarge1-log.  I
> didnt figure mysql would need any really custom
> installs so I just grabbed it with apt-get and thats
> what they gave me.  Is mysql 5 much better?  If I

so then you're running a sarge system.  if you really want to
ditch exim for qmail you should probably go the equivs route then.

as for "is mysql 5 much better?": i'm rather ambivalent on
the matter but what i think is most important is that you're running
a sarge system.  unless you're familiar with the concepts
and techniques of running a mixed stable/testing system, i'd
stick with what you have until you find a compelling reason
to do otherwise.

> upgraded, would mysql5 be able to handle mysql4
> databases?

yes, with the exception of ISAM databases, for which mysql
has officially dropped support.  currently there is some code
to detect when one is upgrading with such database formats,
but it has led to some problems[1][2] which have yet to be
fully resolved.

> On another note, I cant imagine when a database server
> would ever need an MTA, but oh well, problem solved.

the dependency is because various parts of the "add-on" functionality
in debian do things like send emails when corrupt databases are found
at startup.  after sarge was released (actually, more like in the past
month or so) it was decided that such functionality wasn't a *necessity*
but a *convenience*, and as such the depencency has been relaxed
in the latest version in testing/unstable.

	sean