William H. Magill on 8 Mar 2006 21:51:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: (outta sight!) making IT in Philly?

On 08 Mar, 2006, at 14:07, Ronald Kaye Jr wrote:
I want to know the same thing. I want to break into the Linux world
My background is novell, windows server, admin/engineer, etc,
and I have taught several Linux classes using RedHat, Fedora, Slackware,
and starting thursday night ... SUSE.

rk

----- Original Message -----
From: "Floyd Johnson" <fljohnson3@isp.com>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 1:59 PM
Subject: [PLUG] OT: (outta sight!) making IT in Philly?

(I risk getting blasted for asking the same question twice.)

I'm starting to believe that those who have made a career with Linux are
more likely to be sysadmins than proggies. If that is correct, how did
you make a start of it, given no professional experience in Linux
administration, in this metropolitan area? If not, how does one "get
connected"?

By definition "a Linux professional" IS a System Administrator. One who deals with the operating system (Linux), not a programmer who writes production code in Cobol or C. (Perl programming doesn't count, it's expected of a SysAdmin.)

As a now retired Unix SysAdm (30 some odd years), my experience is that there is very little "*nix" work in the area. It is a dominantly Windows market today. (The only thing smaller is the OS X market.) The IT market in Phila has shrunk considerably in the past 5-10 years as most of the larger operations with many positions have downsized significantly ... thanks mostly to the disappearance of "big-iron" and its replacement by X86 based platforms.

That is not to say there is none, just that most all of it is strictly word-of-mouth referrals from lists like this one (PLUG), when one of the few positions open up.

Additionally, Linux SysAdmin work, like Unix SysAdmin work in general, has nothing vaguely like a "career path" structure at most companies -- you are it ... and are expected to do everything, from SysAdmin and Networking work to programming, on-call 24x7x365. In a big shop, you have a staff of one and can sleep somewhat regularly.

Put another way, many, if not most, of the positions available expect you to "hit the ground running" and be able to run the entire operation from day one. This means that finding a location that is willing to take on an apprentice or trainee level new-hire is quite difficult.

There does seem to be a fair amount of contract work around. But it too is mostly word-of-mouth referrals.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.4.1
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com
whmagill@gmail.com