Toby DiPasquale on 9 Mar 2006 00:10:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: (outta sight!) making IT in Philly?

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 01:59:15PM -0500, Floyd Johnson wrote:
> (I risk getting blasted for asking the same question twice.)
>
> I'm starting to believe that those who have made a career with Linux are
> more likely to be sysadmins than proggies. If that is correct, how did
> you make a start of it, given no professional experience in Linux
> administration, in this metropolitan area? If not, how does one "get
> connected"?

There's actually more Linux programming here than you would think,
although that still isn't much. I myself am a full-time Linux kernel
engineer, and have been for 4 years. All of the people I work with program
on Linux. The secret: we started a company. Starting your own business
lets you use whatever you want, and increasingly that's !Windows. The
freedom comes when you realize that for the majority of today's Internet
businesses, you only have to worry about interconnecting with other's
tools, and that mostly means Web browsers. Its also the best learning
experience, forcing you to learn new things and keep up with the pace of
tech or be crushed by your competitors (or your customers). Give it a
shot.

--
Toby DiPasquale