Jeremy Wakeman on 9 Mar 2006 20:29:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VNC/remote desktop and *shared* desktops

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 06:09:48AM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> i have a SLES 9 server that i'd like to set up to share a local
> desktop session over VNC.  previously i was using the "Remote
> Administration" option from within yast, which basically fires
> off a new xserver managed by vnc.  however, what i really want
> is to have local == remote, like one typically sees when vnc is
> installed on windows boxen.

The x0rfbserver program will do this for you: it shares the
current (local) session over vnc.  I have used it to share my linux
session to an xp box running RealVNC.  Under Debian, I believe it
is installed through the inexactly named rfb package.  I'm not sure
where you could find rpm's, and what I found listed as the homepage
(http://www.hexonet.de/software/x0rfbserver/) is in German.  Neither that
version nor the English version appears to have info about the x0rfbserver -
though I don't speak German.

I think it would do exactly what you want, but you may have trouble finding
it, unfortunately.

--

Jeremy John Wakeman
jeremywakeman@gmail.com