Edmund Goppelt on 10 Mar 2006 15:56:07 -0000

[PLUG] Computer 'allergic' to static discharge

I know this is off-topic, but I'm hoping someone here can help me with
a hardware problem that is driving me crazy.  Overnight it appears, my
main work station has developed an allergy to static discharge.

Even something as trivial as brushing against the computer--much less
inserting a DVD--causes it to either freeze or reboot.

Can someone suggest a reason why this is happening and what I can do
about it?

The computer has a Cooler Master case made out of aluminium.

It did not have this problem in the past.

Here's another mystery.  If I move the computer to my other office
which has linoleum (as opposed to laminate flooring), I can touch it
all I want.  No static discharges, no crashes.

One other piece of hopefully relevant info: I wear rubber soled shoes.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this very annoying
problem.

--

Ed Goppelt
http://www.hallwatch.org