Jeff Abrahamson on 12 Mar 2006 16:43:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: (outta sight!) making IT in Philly?

<soapbox>

  A couple people in this thread have indicated that it's reasonable to
  lie or bluff in interviews.  A naive interpretation of this could get
  you into trouble, so I thought it might be helpful to add the
  following for those without enough experience to read between the
  lines:

  - If you don't know the answer to a question, *never* bluff.  Say you
    don't know.  If you do know something related or a little bit, say
    that, too.  You will garner a great deal of respect.  I have talked
    to many colleagues who have interviewed people who have bluffed,
    saying something was true that wasn't, for example.  It absolutely
    and instantly kills the applicant's chances.

  - On the other hand, you *can* bluff on things for which there's no
    correct answer, such as whether or not you are expert in a given
    technology, *as long as* you've done your research to know enough.
    What "enough" means varies, but, basically, you should know at least
    as much as a cheap consultant on the subject, except that you should
    know the limits of your knowledge and be confident that you can fill
    in the gaps.  I got my first java job that way: I read a book, put
    it on my resume, and interviewed, saying I had experience and
    talking about those details I knew.  It all worked, and they were
    happy with me through the job.  But I knew what I didn't know, and I
    had ten years of programming experience to help me synthesize book
    learning in a way that let me talk about what one can do with the
    language.

  Just remember that people talk.  People have worked at other places
  and have friends there.  Hiring managers give feedback to headhunters
  (if that's how you got the interview), who will be interested in
  sending you on more interviews directly proportional to the feedback
  they receive.  If the hiring manager thinks you're hot but can't take
  you, the HH is going to send you to good places.  If the HM thinks
  you're full of it, it goes the other way.

<soapbox/>

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287