Douglas Muth on 16 Mar 2006 15:45:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: (outta sight!) making IT in Philly?

On 3/16/06, Brian Epstein <ep@epiary.org> wrote:

> I think that the key lies in fusion (just like many restaurants are
> doing).  If you are just a sysadmin, it is difficult to get a job.  If
> you are a sysadmin/DBA, it is much easier.

What he said.  I found that the sysadmin/programmer combination has
worked well for me and helps me be more productive. (For example: I
can do some of my own sysadmin stuff instead of having to call IT)

> If you are having trouble finding work, you could try to find an
> associated field to get into.  Then you can bring multiple skills to a
> job.

Non-profit/volunteer work is also a great way to pick up some skills
(and valuable references, too!).  If you know of any groups that are
looking to create or manage an online presence, offer to help.  In the
early years of my career, I got quite a bit of sysadmin experience
that way.

-- Doug