Greg Helledy on 23 Mar 2006 21:58:45 -0000

[PLUG] Debian bug reporting help

I am running a machine that is basically Debian Sarge.
I like to play a RTS game called Total Annihilation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Annihilation), which I do through WINE (using the standard Sarge version).

I tried to play it last night and there was no sound. I got an in-game error message saying that no sound driver was available. I thought about this and remembered that I did an update (using apt) over the weekend, which upgraded precisely one package: libxine1

Here is the security announcement:
http://www.debian.org/security/2006/dsa-1005

I forced a downgrade to the previous version of the package and sound was restored. So to be clear I am now using:
libxine1_1.0.1-1sarge1_i386.deb
instead of
libxine1_1.0.1-1sarge2_i386.deb

I would like to report this issue, but have no understanding of how libxine is interacting with WINE is interacting with my Windows game.

Do I just file a bug report with the info I've given here? What else can I add to make it more clear?

Greg

-- Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and notify GRA, Inc. (postmaster@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by GRA, Inc. unless otherwise indicated by an authorized representative independent of this message.