sean finney on 23 Mar 2006 22:40:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Debian bug reporting help

hey greg,

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 05:29:11PM -0500, Greg Helledy wrote:
> I tried to play it last night and there was no sound.  I got an in-game
> error message saying that no sound driver was available.  I thought
> about this and remembered that I did an update (using apt) over the
> weekend, which upgraded precisely one package:  libxine1

whoah... talk about obscure :)

> I forced a downgrade to the previous version of the package and sound
> was restored.  So to be clear I am now using:
> libxine1_1.0.1-1sarge1_i386.deb
> instead of
> libxine1_1.0.1-1sarge2_i386.deb
>
> I would like to report this issue, but have no understanding of how
> libxine is interacting with WINE is interacting with my Windows game.

that's a good question.  does wine actually use any libs provided
by libxine?

> Do I just file a bug report with the info I've given here?  What else
> can I add to make it more clear?

this is going to be really tough... maybe an strace, though that will be
one hell of a convoluted strace.  i think what will be more helpful would
be to look at the difference between the two source packages involved in
the security update, and see if something jumps out as a possible problem.
to do this, download the .diff.gz of both packages, and then run

	interdiff -z old.diff.gz new.diff.gz

and see if anything in the diff looks suspicious...

	sean