Jeff Abrahamson on 7 Apr 2006 14:02:07 -0000

[PLUG] firewire PCI cards

I'm buying a firewire PCI card in order to hook up an external
firewire hard drive.  I would suspect that the card would basically
just work.  This suspicion is supported by a web page:

    http://www.linux1394.org/hcl.php?class_id=2

Meanwhile, searching for "firewire PCI" at newegg.com, I see an
extraordinary selection of prices, ranging from $10 to near $100.  Are
there some features or versions that I really want to make sure I have
(or don't have) on such a card, such as protocol version or something?
I'm concerned that I won't learn about this feature until I have the
card in hand.

Tia for any suggestions.

--
 Jeff