Claude M. Schrader on 7 Apr 2006 14:20:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] firewire PCI cards

Well there is FireWire 400 and 800(max transfer rates). Firewire 400 is on
almost everything, except some new hard drives, and dvd burners and
whatnot. You may want to double check which version your hard drive
supports. I dont believe there is much to do to make it work - the
firewire ports on my Powerbook worked fine in gentoo, once the relevent
kernel settings were made.
Claude

FireWire 400 can transfer data between devices at 100, 200, or 400 Mbit/s
data rates (actually 98.304, 196.608, or 393.216 Mbit/s, but commonly
referred to as S100, S200, and S400). Although USB2 claims to be capable
of higher speeds (480Mbit/s), FireWire is, in practice, faster. Cable
length is limited to 4.5 metres but up to 16 cables can be daisy chained
yielding a total length of 72 meters under the specification.

FireWire 800 (Apple's name for the 9-pin "S800 bilingual" version of the
IEEE1394b standard) was introduced commercially by Apple in 2003. This
newer 1394 specification and corresponding products allow a transfer rate
of 786.432 Mbit/s with backwards compatibility to the slower rates and
6-pin connectors of FireWire 400.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire