Bob Heise on 10 Apr 2006 03:05:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Sparc Keyboard

Quoth Toby DiPasquale, on 04/08/06 18:48:
On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 06:25:28PM -0400, Rich G wrote:

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 22:19 +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 05:34:29PM -0400, Bob Heise said:

Hello all,

I recently acquired a Sun ultrasparc and would like to put linux on it; however, it uses a proprietary sort of keyboard I do not own. Does anyone have an extra such keyboard they would be willing to part with, or know where I could obtain one cheaply?

I can't help with your acrual problem, but I can offer alternative advice. You can usually get a serial console on sparcs, and just communicate via that, without needing the actual sun keyboard.

Hope that helps,

I don't believe this is totally accurate. While I haven't done Sun admin in a long timme, I know you can get to the SPARC via the serial port but Sun used to require a keyboard for desktop machines. We used to have modified keyboard connectors that allowed the box to boot w/o a keyboard.... No keyboard. No bootup. And the machines used to lockup w/o the keyboard. It very well may depend on the machine and class as to whether the keyboard is actually required.

+1

I remember this very well from my Solaris admin days as well. The only
machines that would boot without a keyboard had E in front of their model
numbers.

Shoot, I see no E... serial console would have been a nice solution.

Thanks for the info,
Bob