bergman on 18 Apr 2006 19:18:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Updated SysAdmin resources? (sorry about the rehash)

In the message dated: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:47:51 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Floyd Johnson on
<Re: [PLUG] Updated SysAdmin resources? (sorry about the rehash)> were:
=> I'm going to try to elucidate my question.
=>
=> A few years ago, Red Hat was the distribution of choice for anyone
=> seeking to put Linux in a Machine Room. It seems that has changed to the
=> Debian family (my personal rig is Ubuntu-driven, having once been
=> RHEL3). I also think there has been talk of Fedora being an alternative.
=> I'm under the possibly mistaken impression that there exists a
=> collection of stuff to know, common to all distros, for a person to be a
=> "true" Linux SysAdmin.
=>
=> I imagine this body of knowledge includes:
=> 	Advanced topics in network defense
=> 	Which logs are relevant, how to arm them, and how to interpret them
=> 	Shells:which ones are most useful, when and how to write shell scripts,
=> and when to write actual (simple C, Perl, or Python) programs.
=> 	The "proper" tools for backups and restorations.
=> 	Many more things about the work of a SysAdmin.

If you replace the word "Linux" with "*n.x", then you could use many of the
excellent resources on Linux and Unix (and Irix and HP/UX, etc., etc.) system
administration as the starting point, and produce a very concise description of
the differences between Linux distros as a supplement, rather than reinventing
the wheel.

Take a close look at The Rosetta Stone:
	http://bhami.com/rosetta.html
for an terrific starting point and framework for listing the specifics
between different *n.x flavors. That site already makes distinctions between
RH, Debian, Mandrake, and SuSE.

=>
=> I can see Cosmin's point that the differences between distros (such as
=> which directories and filenames things are placed in) is an issue
=> learned hands-on.
=>

Yep. You'll remember the differences much better if the input comes from
fingers on a keyboard, and finding what does (and doesn't) work in each
environment, instead of reading a doc.

Mark

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40merctech.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman