Floyd Johnson on 17 Apr 2006 17:48:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Updated SysAdmin resources? (sorry about the rehash)

I'm going to try to elucidate my question.

A few years ago, Red Hat was the distribution of choice for anyone
seeking to put Linux in a Machine Room. It seems that has changed to the
Debian family (my personal rig is Ubuntu-driven, having once been
RHEL3). I also think there has been talk of Fedora being an alternative.
I'm under the possibly mistaken impression that there exists a
collection of stuff to know, common to all distros, for a person to be a
"true" Linux SysAdmin.

I imagine this body of knowledge includes:
	Advanced topics in network defense
	Which logs are relevant, how to arm them, and how to interpret them
	Shells:which ones are most useful, when and how to write shell scripts,
and when to write actual (simple C, Perl, or Python) programs.
	The "proper" tools for backups and restorations.
	Many more things about the work of a SysAdmin.

I can see Cosmin's point that the differences between distros (such as
which directories and filenames things are placed in) is an issue
learned hands-on.