sean finney on 24 Apr 2006 14:57:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] apt problem

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:09:59AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> I tried to install transcode.  Transcode depends on libfame.  Fine.  Apt wants
> to install libfame-0.9, but can't because it conflicts with libfame0 which is
> already installed.  OK, so I try to first uninstall libfame0, but
> gstreamer-fame depends on it.  So I try to remove gstreamer-fame, but
> gstreamer-utils depends on it.
>
> As far as I can tell transcode is running anyway, but apt complains of an
> incomplete installation.  apt-get -f install tries to complete the
> libfame-0.9 installation, but fails.
>
> Any suggestions?

well, i have a diagnosis for you anyway.  it seems that you're either
installing from what is likely a mixed set of releases, or being
bitten by some kind of library transition.  given that the package
is transcode, i'm going to guess the former.  are you using some
unofficial repository, such as christian marillat's?

what i would probably do in your case (i can't say not knowing more)
is to:

- stay with the "official" version of libfoo that anything else in your
  distro may use
- recompile the packages with conflicting dependencies from their source
  packages (possibly modifying/removing their build-dependencies if
  necessary).

this way, whenever the problem sorts itself out your system will
automatically start bringing in the new packages and in the meantime the
packages in question will stay in the "the following packages have been
kept back" club if newer but still conflicting packages are released.

	sean