Art Alexion on 24 Apr 2006 15:36:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] apt problem

On Monday 24 April 2006 10:56, sean finney wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:09:59AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:

> > As far as I can tell transcode is running anyway, but apt complains of an
> > incomplete installation.  apt-get -f install tries to complete the
> > libfame-0.9 installation, but fails.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> well, i have a diagnosis for you anyway.  it seems that you're either
> installing from what is likely a mixed set of releases, or being
> bitten by some kind of library transition.  given that the package
> is transcode, i'm going to guess the former.  are you using some
> unofficial repository, such as christian marillat's?

Yes

> what i would probably do in your case (i can't say not knowing more)
> is to:
>
> - stay with the "official" version of libfoo that anything else in your
>   distro may use
> - recompile the packages with conflicting dependencies from their source
>   packages (possibly modifying/removing their build-dependencies if
>   necessary).

What do you think of checkinstall?  I wanted to minimize non-apt packages?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for
alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c