Stephen Gran on 29 Apr 2006 10:42:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] update gnome removes gnome?

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 01:10:53AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I'm trying to figure out why upgrading gnome-core (already installed)
> would remove gnome-desktop-environment.  This seems like something I
> should care about, but maybe there's a package transition going on
> that I missed and so I shouldn't care.
>
> I'm not clear on how to figure out what's going on here.  Although an
> answer to my confusion would be great, I'd really like to understand
> also how to answer this sort of question in general.

Examine what's going to be removed:

>    The following packages will be REMOVED
>      gnome-desktop-environment gnomemeeting libcamel1.2-0 libebook1.2-3
>      libedataserverui1.2-4
>    The following NEW packages will be installed

The thing I would do to figure it out is to check what
gnome-desktop-environment depends on - it probably includes
gnomemeeting.  gnomemeeting probably depends on one of the libraries
being removed.  The libraries being removed is due to either a
maintainer having over aggressive conflicts, or a real problem with
coinstallability.  probably gnomemeeting (or ekiga now, I think)
probably hasn't been rebuilt against some newer version of the
libraries, and it's being force removed.

This is all guesswork, but that's the sort of logic I use to start
examining things.  apt-cache show, grep-dctrl, and other tools for
examining dependencies is the only way to really find out.  I don't
happen to have a testing environment handy to find out for sure, so I am
just guessing and pointing you to how I might start.

Also, note that gnome-desktop-environment is just a meta package with no
functionality in and of itself.  It can be removed with no ill effects.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Yield to Temptation ... it may not pass |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | your way again.   -- Lazarus Long,      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | "Time Enough for Love"                  |