TuskenTower on 1 May 2006 16:41:41 -0000

Re: Central Office Emergency Power [WAS Re: [PLUG] Re: FIOS]

On 5/1/06, Michael C. Toren <mct@toren.net> wrote:
On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 11:58:59AM -0400, schwepes@netaxs.com wrote:
> If really desparate, you can find a 12V DC to 120V AC converter at truck
> stops

Or even WalMart :-)

However, I believe the issue the poster is trying to address is
determining how long the portion of the phone system located outside
of his home will be able to operate in the event of a prolonged power
outage.  Providing power to your local FIOS-to-analog phone adapter
doesn't buy you anything if the rest of the POTS network is down.

-mct

Correct. Managing a UPS at home for your telephone on FIOS is annoying, but what about the network? More to the point, what about the first hop, your local central office?

We know (because we have used them) POTS phones will last for a while
during a local power outage.  However, if we have FIOS, how long does
the FIOS central office last for after power has gone out?  I assume
that the fiber system will require more power.

I'm curious to learn the power capacity of a POTS central office and a
FIOS central office.  It's always good to know how long your phone
will last in an emergency.

Amul