Michael C. Toren on 5 May 2006 15:37:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam marked read?

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 11:16:13AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> I don't know if this is a symptom of a security problem.
>
> I use both kmail and thunderbird for mail.  This happens with both.
>
> Some spam mail is marked "read" as soon as it comes in, even though I
> never touched it.  Any ideas?  Security issue?

In mbox format, a mail client determines if a message is marked as
"read" by examining the "Status:" header.  If that header is inserted
by the sender, and not removed by your MTA or local delivery agent,
your mail client most likely will honor it.

-mct