Malcolm J Harwood on 8 May 2006 18:13:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam marked read?

On Friday 05 May 2006 02:36 pm, Art Alexion wrote:

> On Friday 05 May 2006 11:37, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> > On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 11:16:13AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> > > I don't know if this is a symptom of a security problem.

> > > Some spam mail is marked "read" as soon as it comes in, even though I
> > > never touched it.  Any ideas?  Security issue?

> > In mbox format, a mail client determines if a message is marked as
> > "read" by examining the "Status:" header.  If that header is inserted
> > by the sender, and not removed by your MTA or local delivery agent,
> > your mail client most likely will honor it.

> Makes sense.  Is there a reason a spammer would insert a "read" header?

It will bypass some spam filters (or at least used to) and probably also has
some social engineering effect ("I've read this already and kept it, it must
have been important, what was it?"). You'll often find a faked datestamp on
that sort of email too.

--
Well, the three legs of the [recycling] triangle are reduce, reuse, recycle.
Or in the case of Microsoft, "Reboot, Reinstall, Redhat". :)