John Von Essen on 10 May 2006 17:17:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Apache server not serving...

Definitely a firewall/network design issue.

A few things... How does a 10.X machine talk to 192.X machine? My guess is
it goes through the firewall, sounds like your firewall has two internal
nets (a 10.X int and a 192.X dmz).

So the 10.X machines sends a packet through the firewall to the apache
box. Problem is, the apache box is multi-homed to the 10.X network. The
packets will not return to the sender by way of the firewall, instead, it
will just use broadcast info on that second 10.X NIC and return that way.
Packets have to return the same way they came in. Now I cant explain why
it works some of the time, but regardless, something screwy is going on.

Your setup is common, and commonly has issues. My question is: If you are
on a 10.X machine, why would you want to talk to apache on the 192.X? And
if you did want to talk to apache on the 192.X, then why did you
multi-home the apache server in the first place?

When you start playing around with firewalls, and multiple nets, you can
get lost when trying to do too much. Either run the apache box as a true
dmz machine with only a 192 nic, or if you do multi-home it, only talk to
it via the 10.X address from inside your corp network. You cant "easily"
do both...

-John