Aaron Mulder on 11 May 2006 20:19:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] NJ Statewide GPG Keysigning Party 14 June 2006

I guess this gives me the perfect opportunity to ask...

I had a GPG key that I set to expire in 1 year.  It's expired.

What's the recommended way to extend it?  My memory is a little hazy
because I dealt with this a while ago, but I think I tried editing the
key to change its expiration and also creating a new subkey, and in
both cases it worked locally, but when I sync'd with pgp.mit.edu and
then updated from another machine, the changes didn't propogate -- it
still saw the old values and treated it as expired.  (And if I
replaced the encryption key with a new one, I couldn't open my old
messages any more.)

It would be great if there was a way to extend the key in such a way
that it preserved the signatures and also let me keep reading messages
encrypted to be before the expiration.  I'd rather not just generate a
whole new key from scratch.

Also, I'd like to add a separate "identity" or whatever with my work
e-mail (rather than having completely separate keys for home and work
as before).  Any ideas on that one?  I'd also need it to sync up to
the keyserver.

Thanks,
    Aaron