Stephen Gran on 11 May 2006 21:09:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Apache server not serving...

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 05:00:01PM -0400, George Gallen said:
> Is there a setting somewhere in the httpd.conf file that limits
> how large of a file can be served? But I would think this would
> cause an error. I'm going to see if I can create a very small
> image file, and see if that one sneaks through.
>
> In looking at the tcp traffic when I use wget to try to access a page with an image.
> I see the the request, and the headers for the image file are sent, and the beginning of the file is sent,
>   then it gets stuck. the http packet header (not the tcp headers) gives the correct filename, and
>   the correct file length, and the part up to where it get's stuck is what the beginning of that
>   image looks like.
>
> >From the header side, there are packets being sent from the server to the client, but
>   the client never sends back a ack of those packets, so the server keeps sending the same
>   packet over and over every few seconds until the client side times out.
>
> What is weird, is I had tcpdump running on both sides, both sides showed the same thing, packets
>   being sent from the server, being received by the client, but no reply packet from the client
>   back to the server. All the IP addressing looked correct, so it doesn't look like our corp
>   filewall is stopping anything.

This sounds exactly like an MTU problem to me.  Try lowering the MTU on
both the server and the client to 1000 (`ifconfig eth0 mtu 1000`) and
try again.  If it suddenly starts working, LART the firewall admins for
breaking MTU discovery.

> by an external href, I take it you pointing to an image file that is not
> on the server, which is no, these images are on the server.

I meant it referenced a site served on the other interface, not on
another physical machine.

> > Second: If the firewall blocks icmp, MTU discovery may be failing for
> > large packets, leading to an apparent connection hang.  Since
> > connections work for the most part, but large (relatively) transfers
> > fail, this is where I would start looking.
>
> I would think that most websites block icmp these days, so wouldn't that
> mess with a lot of websites?

Only fools block all icmp.  There is a reason for it's existence and
use.
|  Stephen Gran                  | "Only a brain-damaged operating system  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | would support task switching and not    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | make the simple next step of supporting |
|                                | multitasking." -- George McFry          |