K.S. Bhaskar on 12 May 2006 11:22:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Moving system between drives

What I do is just use rsync with the -x flag to tell it not to cross
file system boundaries.  Since I often play with configurations, as a
way to keep a stable partition, I frequently will set up a PC with 2
root partitions, think of them as / and /spare.  The way I will create
a /spare is:

1. rsync -ax / /spare/

2. Edit /spare/fstab and reverse the definitions of / and /spare

3. Add boot entries to /boot/grub/menu.lst and /spare/boot/grub/menu.lst

I suggest you do the above, make sure that you can boot successfully
on the alternate drive, and then run grub-install on the new drive and
remove the old one.

-- Bhaskar