Stephen Gran on 15 May 2006 16:07:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] "Mini" DNS options?

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 10:58:31AM -0400, jazzman@exdomain.org said:
> So I decided that, based on what I"ve heard and what I've found online,
> setting up BIND for a small network shouldn't be a problem since there's
> really only one zone and for all other DNS info i'll use an outside DNS.
> (The DNS server i want to set up is ONLY for use by my internal network
> and the outside world can't see it.)
>
> So now i can query the local DNS with things like hostname.exdomain.org
> and i get the right response back, but if I just query for hostname it
> doesn't assume exdomain.org is the extension. Does anyone know how to make
> it assume a default domain extension?
>
> IE: If I type in webcam then I'd like bind to return the address for
> webcam.exdomain.org

This is a function of your local resolver, not the DNS server.  On *nix
machines, just add
domain exdomain.org

to /etc/resolv.conf

Then queries will be made first for the unqualified domain, and then for
the FQDN.  I believe Windows has a similar functionality, but I couldn't
tell you where to do it.
|  Stephen Gran                  | new, adj.:  Different color from        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | previous model.                         |