Walt Frampus on 24 May 2006 15:39:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Choice of debian-based distro

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 11:54 -0400, Greg Helledy wrote:
> BUT I have had other issues with it and am now thinking it may not be
> for me.  I would probably install Debian stable but thought I'd ask
> whether anyone had a recommendation for another Debian-based distro I
> should try first.  Xandros has a free version but they do things like
> cripple the write speed of the CD writing software and that makes me
> think it might be something to stay away from.  Or is Xandros so good
> that I should just go ahead and buy the "real" version?

I actually love Xandros, which is a complete surprise to me. I had tried
the free version and it found all of my hardware with no problems. I am
actually use to Suse and have been using it since version 8.2. I now
have Xandros business edition on this computer and Suse 10.1 on my
secondary. Right now Xandros is at version 3.0 with 4.0 coming out
sometime in the future. I do not regret paying $100 for this distro. It
is stable and works for me. The only thing that bothers me is the
updates aren't up to date, meaning Most distros are using a newer KDE. I
also like Mepis and have used that since the first version. PCLinuxOS is
coming along nicely too. I did not like Kubuntu at all and won't even
try Ubuntu again..don't know why people think it is so great. (but this
is my own opinion.) You need to use what you feel comfortable with. Try
some of the live CD's and see what is what.

Walt