Michael C. Toren on 11 Jun 2006 17:21:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 and tcp_wrappers

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 11:35:14AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> So I put exim4 in inetd.conf:
>
>    smtp   stream    tcp    nowait    uucp    /sbin/exim4 exim4 -bs
>
> I confirm that exim4 is not running, but inetd does start it, as I can
> connect to it, but from anywhere I try, not just the special places.

You need to configure inetd to use tcpwrappers.  Replace the above line
in your inetd.conf file with:

    smtp   stream    tcp    nowait    uucp    /usr/sbin/tcpd /sbin/exim4 -bs

> I'd just as soon exim4 run as a daemon as it's snappier, but I'd also
> like to avoid having my machine hammered by attempted relayers and such.

I'd recommend just running it an daemon mode, and living with the random
connections, taking comfort in the fact that exim will do the right thing.

One potential problem in only allowing connections from your primary MX is
that you probably won't be notified when the source address your primary
MX uses for outbound connections changes, which you may only suspect after
you realize you haven't gotten mail for a few days... :-)

-mct