Stephen Gran on 12 Jun 2006 13:51:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 and tcp_wrappers

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 11:35:14AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I want to allow direct smtp to my machine, but only from a limited set
> of hosts (who MX for me).  Since exim4 is not linked against libwrap,
> I don't expect it to respect /etc/hosts.{deny,allow}, and it turns out
> that it doesn't when I try it.
>
> So I put exim4 in inetd.conf:
>
>    smtp   stream    tcp    nowait    uucp    /sbin/exim4 exim4 -bs

This should probably be
    smtp   stream    tcp    nowait    Debian-exim /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/exim4 exim4 -bs

But isn't iptables and running exim as a daemon simpler?
|  Stephen Gran                  | In this world some people are going to  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | like me and some are not.  So, I may as |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | well be me.  Then I know if someone     |
|                                | likes me, they like me.                 |