Stephen Gran on 15 Jun 2006 09:45:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] starting XMMS in (Ubuntu) Gnome remotely via SSH

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 08:30:51PM -0400, Ed Stokes said:
> I have no X skills. Here's something I've never seen instructions for.
>
> I need to start XMMS on a remote computer, during an SSH session. So far
> I've succeeded only in turning it off ("killall xmms", easy enough).
>
> -----
> # xmms
> ** CRITICAL **: Unable to open display
> -----

This means that the DISPLAY environment variable is unset.  You'll want
to set it before running the command.

DISPLAY=:0.0 sudo -u programmer xmms [options ... ] &

> Also, if someone can recommend a reference (preferably online) I could
> start reading to get up to speed on this, that would sure be helpful.

If only X had docs.

> By the way, I'm doing this to support helpless Windows orphans at the
> recently Ubuntu-migrated RadioVolta.org. XMMS is temporarily playing our
> afterhours stream until we get Rivendell going. If anyone is experienced
> with the Rivendell automation package, we might appreciate a chance to
> bend your ear some time in a few months.
> http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/
>
> Any Bush-dislikers wanting to volunteer, especially if experienced with
> Icecast servers, Cisco routers, or impoverished non-profits, would be so
> welcome.

It sounds like fun.  Pity I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic,
otherwise I might offer.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Work expands to fill the time           |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | available.   -- Cyril Northcote         |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Parkinson, "The Economist", 1955        |