Ed Stokes on 15 Jun 2006 00:31:01 -0000

[PLUG] starting XMMS in (Ubuntu) Gnome remotely via SSH

I have no X skills. Here's something I've never seen instructions for.

I need to start XMMS on a remote computer, during an SSH session. So far
I've succeeded only in turning it off ("killall xmms", easy enough).

>From a command line, logged in as either root or as the user
("programmer"), I need to start XMMS and have it come up visibly inside
the existing Gnome session (which is logged in as the user). My basic
command might look kinda like this:

-----
# su programmer && xmms /home/programmer/.xmms/xmms.m3u && xmms -S &&
xmms -p
-----

(-S = toggle shuffle ; -p = Play if not already playing)

XMMS doesn't start this way in SSH. Just a bare "xmms" fails like so:

-----
# xmms
** CRITICAL **: Unable to open display
-----

I presume I need it to open in an existing X session, but here my
ignorance begins. Where? How? Hep!

Also, if someone can recommend a reference (preferably online) I could
start reading to get up to speed on this, that would sure be helpful.

=====

By the way, I'm doing this to support helpless Windows orphans at the
recently Ubuntu-migrated RadioVolta.org. XMMS is temporarily playing our
afterhours stream until we get Rivendell going. If anyone is experienced
with the Rivendell automation package, we might appreciate a chance to
bend your ear some time in a few months.
http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/

Any Bush-dislikers wanting to volunteer, especially if experienced with
Icecast servers, Cisco routers, or impoverished non-profits, would be so
welcome.

Es.