Stewart B Lone on 29 Jun 2006 17:28:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] KDE apps make slow internet connections

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Thursday 29 June 2006 10:25, Art Alexion wrote:

>>> In the process of setting this up, I found an unusual entry in my
>>> resolve.conf
>>>
>>> arthur@rodney:~ $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> search domain_not_set.invalid
>>> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>>> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>>>
>>> *192.168.1.1 is the router address.
>> I just read something about editing /etc/dchp3/dhclient.conf
>>
>> by un-commenting the line
>> prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
>> and replacing 127.0.0.1 with the ISP's DNS IP
>
> [sorry, hit send too soon]
>
> Could that be contributing to the problem?
>
> What is odd is that this problem only seems to be affecting KDE apps, not CLI
> stuff or Firefox.  I mentioned Konqueror, but kmail too is slow to connect.
> I never used to see a small text message like this in the outbox.  It was
> gone before the kwallet password prompt went away.  Now I always see it there
> for ~ 30 seconds before it is quickly dispatched.

Hello Art, I notice that you have Verizon as I do. The name sever for me
is also 192.168.1.1, but I also need the domain to be set. In my case
that is " myhome.westell.com ". Westel being the manufacturer of the
modem/router, which is also a wireless device. HTH
Stewart