Floyd Johnson on 30 Jun 2006 18:22:24 -0000

[PLUG] WLAN dilemma at RTM

Hi PLUGgers,

In late November of '05, I outfitted my laptop (Ubuntu Breezy-kernel
2.6.12-9) with a Netgear WG111v2 wireless adapter. It's powered by the
Realtek 8187L chipset, and has the USB ID 0846:6A00. I've had a string
of routing conk-outs at Reading Terminal Market-about two hours and it
dies, with no DHCP acknowledgment for the rest of the day. I presumed it
to be PCCA's equipment, because everything goes swimmingly at a
'net-enabled cafe at 50th and Baltimore.

About an hour ago, a series of events occurred with NDISWrapper that
gave the appearance of a router/DHCP server failure at RTM. At first, I
thought PCCA was lying down on the job, but this line popped up in
syslog after I tried to "modprobe -r ndiswrapper".

  ndiswrapper (wrap_submit_urb:76): usb_submit_urb() = -90

That gave me cause to suspect NDISwrapper and/or the Win-driver had
gotten scrambled, so I rebooted, and in a little bit, all was well.

The question before me is whether it is better to
	-use Realtek's native Linux 2.6.x driver, dated 8 Dec 05
	-use ndiswrapper around Realtek's Windriver, dated 12 Apr 06
	-stick with what I've got (the Windriver dated no later than 26 Nov 05)

What's the word, guys and gals?