sean finney on 2 Jul 2006 17:19:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] x11vnc

catching up on a few weeks' worth of mail, and thought i'd
chime in here for posterity's sake...

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:28:22PM -0400, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> Thanks.  I actually did that using PuTTY under WinXP.  Very cool.  PuTTY
> represents if as "L5900 host.name:5900" in the GUI.  Then I connected
> using "localhost:5900".

yes, ssh-forwarding is probably your optimal solution if you care not
only about the authenticity of the connection and protection of the
password, but also the data being tranferred in the session (like
the contents of what you send to/from an xterm).  there's some
extra overhead involved (bandwidth and cycles), but using relatively
recent hardware on a local network should be fine.

> I did figure out how to use a password, but I don't know if the password
> is encrypted without ssh.  I doubt it.  I used "x11vnc -rfbauth
> .vnc/passwd" if I remember correctly, which uses the password I created
> with "vncpasswd".

i *believe* that all vnc speaking applications use some form
of CHAP based authentication, in which the password is securely
negotiated over the wire, but nothing else.  of course, this
wouldn't protect you from a man in the middle attack as you
have no way of authenticating the remote server...

	sean