sean finney on 4 Jul 2006 13:39:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] wtf? system out of entropy

hey,

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 01:48:20PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> <hdparm maintainer hat on>
> hdparm 6.6 works just fine for SATA.  Some of the ioctls are no ops, but
> it doesn't do anything harmful.

hey, cool to know.  i'll keep that bit of knowledge tucked away
somewhere for reuse.

> Hrmph.  I really don't know then.  Do you have hw-random (or whatever
> it's called) loaded?  Does your board support any other entropy
> gatherers?

it's not loaded, or even an option:

	# CONFIG_HW_RANDOM is not set

there are a couple specific RNG drivers compiled in, but neither
load and i din't know if there's another way (it's an older
poweredge system, maybe 1750).

> A way forward (that is not really optimal, but I have heard of people
> doing it on systems where they can't get enouogh entropy) is to rm
> /dev/random, and link random to urandom.  You get non-blocking IO in
> exchange for only kinda pseudo random numbers.

hah, that's a good one... hadn't even thought of that.  we went ahead
and bit the bullet with a reboot on this one, but if it comes up again
i'll definitely consider this as a stop-gap option :)

	sean