Flint Heart on 10 Jul 2006 17:00:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] firewire drive errors

Allot of firewire enclosure chipsets have a 250gb drive size limit.  a lot
also have buggy firmware.

2 months after expanding my myth lvm to 3 disks with a new maxtor drive It
died on me. wouldn't even spin up.  After recovering most of the data on
the array after insterting a new disk.  I took a break from it to only have
the main disk in the lvm go bad...  So now i've bought WD drives and have
them configured in a raid 5.  As the disks go bad I'm going to replace with
WD drives...  Getting OEM disks on sales is pretty inexpensive nowdays.
$30 retail specials on maxtor 250's are nice but just not worth the effort
required to fix.  I'm also using smartd to monitor my disks now. hopefully
I'll get a heads up before a drive goes down (which i've heard you will
ususally get smart errors before the disk will actually go belly up on you)