Jeff Abrahamson on 11 Jul 2006 15:39:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Circular templates - Conflict between OpenOffice and AbiWord

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 08:29:41AM -0700, George Langford wrote:
>   [28 lines, 193 words, 1394 characters]  Top characters: et_aonis
>
> Today I discovered a feature of AbiWord that defeats me.
>
> I saved an example of letterhead about a month ago in a "templates"
> folder which is now only accessible from AbiWord.  However, the
> extension of the file that I saved in the templates folder is .sxw,
> and that's an OpenOffice dicument that AbiWord cannot open.  Worse
> yet, that "templates" folder seems to be invisible when I look for
> it when I'm in OpenOffice.  So my saved letterhead file is useless
> as a template.
>
> Recently I applied apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, whereupon a
> new version of OpenOffice was downloaded and installed. That's my
> only clue.
>
> Where is the "templates" folder in AbiWord placed/mounted/stowed ?
> I notice that in AbiWord, the "templates" folder shows regardless
> of where I am in the path.  That doesn't help my search very much,
> because that "templates" folder isn't the one that OpenOffice uses.
>
> What I cannot fathom is how my letterhead.sxw file came to be stored
> in an AbiWord "templates" folder in OpenOffice format (.sxw extension)
> when AbiWord doesn't recognize that format.

Some hints on finding files:

    locate letterhead.sxw

I find locate to be too often modestly broken.  YMMV.  Here's an alternate:

    find $HOME -name letterhead.sxw
    find $HOME -name '*letterhead.sxw*'

When you do find it, you can copy it to someplace that OOo can access,
as well as potentially making a copy in place that has .abw extension.

Once you figure out as much as you can, you should file bug reports
against abiword (for not helping you) and against OOo (since its
updater is likely the culprit, but admit in the bug report that it is
only hypothesis).

HTH.

--
 Jeff