George Langford on 11 Jul 2006 15:30:59 -0000

[PLUG] Circular templates - Conflict between OpenOffice and AbiWord

Today I discovered a feature of AbiWord that defeats me.

I saved an example of letterhead about a month ago in a "templates"
folder which is now only accessible from AbiWord.  However, the
extension of the file that I saved in the templates folder is .sxw,
and that's an OpenOffice dicument that AbiWord cannot open.  Worse
yet, that "templates" folder seems to be invisible when I look for
it when I'm in OpenOffice.  So my saved letterhead file is useless
as a template.

Recently I applied apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, whereupon a
new version of OpenOffice was downloaded and installed. That's my
only clue.

Where is the "templates" folder in AbiWord placed/mounted/stowed ?
I notice that in AbiWord, the "templates" folder shows regardless
of where I am in the path.  That doesn't help my search very much,
because that "templates" folder isn't the one that OpenOffice uses.

What I cannot fathom is how my letterhead.sxw file came to be stored
in an AbiWord "templates" folder in OpenOffice format (.sxw extension)
when AbiWord doesn't recognize that format.

George Langford