gyoza on 13 Jul 2006 04:45:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: SMD capacitor

tom.hornberger@verizon.net wrote:
It's probably a Tantalum. The 47uF, 35V will work OK as long as the footprint is the same. Most of the Tants have the same footprint, just different case heights (makes board layout easier!) I might have some 47uF, 16V at work, I'll check tomorrow. The cap coming off doesn't surprise me, 63/37 solder is very soft and easily deformed. If you need someone to solder it on I have access to the proper equipment at work.

Generous offer. Thanks. (I'm guessing you are not close to Maple Shade, NJ.)

I'm getting to the point where I don't feel comfortable with the idea of powering up this card. I bought this thing guaranteed not DOA. I consider it DOA, so I might send it back.

I have a 25W soldering iron with a tip that is not in great shape. My solder is labeled 60/40. And mini pliers. Does it sound like I'd kill the capacitor or the pads on the board?