Walt Frampus on 14 Jul 2006 22:12:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Freespire Beta Out

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 15:42 -0400, Alex Valentine wrote:
> Why would anyone want to use this over Ubuntu?
>
> Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, whatever you want to call it, has
> basically been snake oil from the start in 2001.
>
> Remember when Lindows was suppose to run Linux apps and eventually all
> Windows applications?
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,47888,00.html

I think what most people hate about Lindows/linspire is the fact that it
isn't free. I use Xandros and love it. I didn't mind paying $100 for the
business edition. Up until dapper, I wasn't that impressed with Ubuntu.
I do not like using sudo and like a root account. I am writing this in
ubuntu but once my copy of Xandros 4.0 gets to me I will drop it. I do
have Xandros 3.0 on a second computer and have all my files there
because I know how stable it is. I even have IE running in cross over
office for the web sites that refuse to work under foxfire or opera. I
have been using Linux since 1999 and exclusively for 4 years now. I have
tried ALL the distros including Lindows. Linspire is great for newbies,
why would we want to put it down?

Walt