Toby DiPasquale on 15 Jul 2006 14:52:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SMTP greeting failure

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:46:12PM -0400, Brian J Spooner wrote:

> Can someone tell me what causes me to get this error message when I try to
> send mail in pine (RHEL3):
> [Error sending: SMTP greeting failure: 421 SMTP connection went away!]
>
> I am receiving mail, but cannot send.

Check /var/log/mail.log right after you've attempted to send a message. I
like to:

1. tail -f /var/log/mail.log
2. hit return until you've got a blank screen
3. open pine and send some mail
4. check the output in the above tailed log file to see what happens

Another thing: are you always sending to the same place when this happens,
or is this for any place?

--
Toby DiPasquale