Brian J Spooner on 15 Jul 2006 17:25:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SMTP greeting failure

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:46:12PM -0400, Brian J Spooner wrote:
> >
> > Can someone tell me what causes me to get this error message when I try
> > to send mail in pine (RHEL3):
> > [Error sending: SMTP greeting failure: 421 SMTP connection went away!]
> >
> > I am receiving mail, but cannot send.
>
> Check /var/log/mail.log right after you've attempted to send a message. I
> like to:
>
> 1. tail -f /var/log/mail.log
> 2. hit return until you've got a blank screen
> 3. open pine and send some mail
> 4. check the output in the above tailed log file to see what happens
>
> Another thing: are you always sending to the same place when this happens,
> or is this for any place?
> Toby DiPasquale

I get:
Jul 15 11:51:37 windsorst sendmail[22546]: dangerous permissions=40777 on
queue directory /var/spool/clientmqueue/

I got the same when I tried to send mail to a different address.

clientmqueue directory is 777, but everything in it is from Mar 26 (and
I've sent stacks of mail since then)

previous entries in /var/log/maillog give:
missing map file /etc/aliases.db: No such file or directory
There is no aliases.db file (but I notice I have one on my other server).
Could that be the problem?  if so, what should generate that file?

brian