Dan Crosta on 17 Jul 2006 15:15:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Which file system is best and why?

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> [...]
>
> I have had ext3 crash on me a few years ago in a way that was
> irrepairable short of going in by hand and bit twiddling blocks on
> disk - I found it easier to reformat and restore from a backup.  I
>
> [...]

As another note, no filesystem, no matter its journaling, recovery or
disambiguity features (XFS's "this file is well and truly effed up" bit
zeroing comes "feature") can obviate a good backup plan. Ideally backups
should be made to disconnected media, and in the case of really important
information, stored off-site in case of disaster. For my personal data, I
make weekly rsync copies to an external hard drive, and swap the drive
with one in my brother's apartment every month... so unless the whole city
explodes (in which case data loss is no longer my biggest worry) I feel
pretty safe.

dsc