K.S. Bhaskar on 17 Jul 2006 13:50:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Which file system is best and why?

Dan's advice is good, and his observation that it doesn't matter in
most cases is correct.  In pushing high end banking systems, we have
found significant performance differences, but for most applications,
you won't notice any difference between file systems.

I have had ext3 crash on me a few years ago in a way that was
irrepairable short of going in by hand and bit twiddling blocks on
disk - I found it easier to reformat and restore from a backup.  I
don't use it except where unavoidable (e.g., it is the only format
that DSL can create).  I have used ReiserFS for many years with good
results.  I am using jfs these days because it seems better supported
with the Ubuntu Dapper releases than reiserfs.

-- Bhaskar

On 7/9/06, Dan Crosta <dcrosta@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:
On Jul 9, 2006, at 6:40 PM, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> I'd say use the default filesystem that your Linux distribution hs
> been set to use.

Just to add to that, aside from exceptional cases or high-demand
systems, it really doesn't tend to make much of a difference,
particularly for a novice user. I've tried ext2/3, reiser and XFS,
and aside one incident (XFS zeros out files in an unknown state after
a system crash, which is bad when these files include those related
to your boot loader), I haven't noticed much difference from one to
the next.

dsc