Tom Diehl on 23 Jul 2006 15:28:01 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Verizon FIOS..Any thoughts?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Matt Ayres wrote:

Tom Diehl wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:

We got the cheapest static IP business line installed at our house northwest of
Philly on Tuesday, as another poster said, they had no qualms about installing
a business line into our house.

They pay for 5 static ip addresses. In 2 months VZ has only changed them once.
They cannot explain why they changed and they would not change them back either.

Only took VZ 2 days to fix.

I don't get how this happened to your customer. Our IP's come with a default reverse DNS of static-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.phlapa.fios.verizon.net. I found it odd it wasn't subnetted and they said I just had the next 4 IP's (we took the full 5) counting up from the one they assigned me. They statically configured the IP in the router, no DHCP is being run. As others have said, you can use whatever you want as a router... what you probably want to do is connect the FIOS into a switch and then from that switch plug in your public accessible servers. ex. 1 IP/port for your office router, 1 IP/port for your web server, etc.

There was no dhcp involved. The circuit just stopped working. The customer thought it was a VZ problem, resolvable by VZ so they did not contact me. By the end of the first day they decided they should call.

Once I was on site and comparing the ip address the tech was trying to use
with the 5 I had, showed the problem immediately. The next problem was they
could not re-provision the old ip addresses or for that matter 5 new ones until
the next day. It only took them until late morning to provision 5 new ones.
The old ones were gone. To date, I still do not know why they messed with the
account in the first place.

I just noticed they're offering a 5mbit down / 5mbit up plan with a * that says more IP's can be requested upon demand.

Has anyone seen any pricing on them??

Regards,

Tom