Tom Diehl on 24 Jul 2006 16:28:26 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Verizon FIOS..Any thoughts?

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Doug Crompton wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Tom Diehl wrote:

FWIW, I have looked at the outside of the FIOS boxes and I cannot see any
external power being supplied to them, only fiber in and out.

I believe the power and batteries are in an inside the premises box. At least the one I saw was.

I suspect the large distro boxes are more then passive. I keep meaing to
stop when I see a crew working on one and see whats inside.

Another issue is maintenance of the batteries. Is this a user or Verizon
responsibility?

User, once the warranty expires.

I read about it on their FAQ. IIRC they say it is a 12v 7.5 amp hour battery
and that they will give you a list of place to buy one if you like. Sounds a
lot like the batteries used in a lot of small apc ups's. Digikey and mouser
stock most of them. I suspect there are local places to get them also but I
do not know where.

Regards,

Tom